72 hour kit- BOB- Bug out bag-
Cost anywhere from free leftovers to $500
What is it for?
To get from a point of danger to a point of safety. You can leave for 3 days and be totally self contained.
Some examples are:
- You have to leave house because it is on fire.
- Stuck at work and have to walk home.
- Get stuck along the way to a secondary location.
- There is a natural gas leak and you have to leave.
What it is not.
Go into the wilderness and live off the land kit. We are prepping for a disruption in the systems not Rambo type living. Who would want to do that anyway?
What is in it? Please add or subtract according to your needs.
- BAG- able to put on your back with comfortable shoulder straps and waist belt. You will need to have both hands free. If you have kids you might need to be carrying them for a short time.
Food-3 days worth that does not need any prep.
- Granola or energy bars
- Trail mix
- Canned meat. Without can opener
- Soup, which has water
- Anything small, lightweight, without the need for any prep.
- Something for kids just in case
- Powdered Drink.
Water- Carry as much as you can. Put extra in your vehicle.
Water Purification tablets.
2 days worth of clothing.
- One set of short sleeve and one set of long sleeve. This will enable you to be comfortable if it is hot or cool out. You can layer these two together to get some extra warmth.
- One pair of pants. Preferebly a quick dry type.
- Two pairs of undergarments
- 2 pairs of socks, not cotton
- Sturdy shoes you can run in.
Rain gear. Some sort of waterproof jacket. No ponchos. They do not protect adequately.
Blanket or bed sheet or space-blanket for warmth.
Tarp to use as improvised shelter. Can also be used on the ground.
Hammock. Good if ground is wet or if very hot out.
Flashlight. Preferably the windup or shaking kind. The new LEDs are great. Just be sure to change the batteries frequently.
Signal Flares. Not road flares.
Candles, depends on how hot it gets in your car. I live in Salt Lake City and it gets too hot in the summer for candles in the car.
- Lighter, refillable
- Fire starter
Knife-Marine corp issued type knife
Radio-wind up if possible, will need to replace batteries if it has batteries. This good to have to know what is going on. Radio stations are usually integral to getting info out to the public in an emergency.
Pen and paper. Try the waterproof paper if you can.
- First aid kit-something basic
- Toiletries-can also be used to start a fire or mark a try
- Feminine products
- Hand sanitizer
- Medications-aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-histamine, prescription meds (carry two weeks)
- Baseball cap
Cash-$300, $100 per day. More if you are carrying for a family
Extra credit card, debit card
Phone card-cell phone may not work.
Prepaid cell phone. To use if your carrier goes down.
Basic tool kit, small ratchet set, adjustable wrench, screwdriver, wire cutter, small file
Pepper spray or stun gun. Do not put a gun in it. If BOB stolen then you have a stolen gun on the loose. Keep your gun on you.
Aluminum foil-use as mirrors, reflectors, make a cup
Maps of the area
Better to have one bag for each with all these supplies than one large bag with everything for one person.
You will need to pick and choose what each of your children has in their pack depending on their age and ability.