We as preparedness people are sometimes classified as “doomers”. While this may be true to some extent, the movement as a whole is not all “doom and “gloom. The future is bright and I believe tomorrow will be better than today. We may have some hard times in the future, but I guarantee things will get better. As we focus on the future, I want to tell you what I think.
What you do matters
The things you are doing right now to make your life better matter. They are important and fulfilling. Do not let anyone convince you other wise. There are those because on normalcy bias may belittle you into thinking you are not important and especially what you do is not important. When you prepare, you become more confident and sure of yourself. Those items are in contradiction to normalcy bias, “they” want you to do what they think you ought to do, not what is best for you.
You are a human being
You are a human being, not a gerbil. You get to make your own decisions. Please do not let anyone else make them for you. We live in the freest country in the world. That does not mean we are totally free, but we have the ability to do as we please for the most part. If you want to have a garden you can. If you want to raise a chicken, or open a business you can. Remember as a human you make decisions to benefit you and your family. The decisions you make are yours alone.
You are not alone
There are literally thousands if not millions of people out there with your similar mindset. Just because you don’t see them does not mean they aren’t there. We are a group of people who care about each other and our neighbors. Find a community you can join. Go to forums and join them. You will see you are not alone.
Future Concerns- things I see coming
- General Economic conditions- I think the overall climate for 2012 will be good. I am worried about the overall debt of governments in general. I think 2013-2015 will turn worse. This is a hard one to pin down, but we can not borrow money forever. This is why it is important to get out of debt as soon as possible.
- Peak oil- Statistics show we have reached what looks like the top of oil production. This is not to say we can not find more oil, but the energy required to reach it is becoming greater. My other concern is the governmental headache to start a new oil field. There are other countries mainly China and India which are growing and needing oil. Are we going to run out of oil? NO. There is a shift coming, about who receives the oil. Are you prepared for the shift?
- agriculture failures- I think the way we are farming is destroying our soil. We are putting obscene amounts of pesticides and other things on and in our soil. I believe this will start to rear its ugly head here in the future. The public is starting to become more aware of the issues with conventional agriculture.
- Water conflicts- There is already much concern here in the west and has been for a long time about water rights and other water issues. The ogallala aquiferin Texas is becoming depleted with no hopes of recovery in the near term. It supplies water for most of the midwest. We need to start as individuals taking responsiblity for our water. These conflicts are only going to increase in the coming years.
- Global socialism- I believe liberty and freedom are at stake on a global scale. There are those who would try to take away freedoms through global taxes and institutions. Realize if you don’t value liberty on a personal basis it will be easier to give in to control on a larger scale. Part of being a liberty conscience person means you take responsiblity for your life and those around you.
What can we do?
- Learn skills- Always be learning something new. Be it a skill in the traditional sense or skills in the modern sence. Learn about technology, it will ALWAYS be here. It is what propels us forward. Learn forgotten skills. Learn to save seeds, sew, cook, car maintenance, etc.
- Outwardly show your love of liberty. I think sometimes we are afraid to show others that we love liberty. We love to be free and accept the consequences of our actions. We are afraid to be a leader for fear we might be ridiculed. Our neighbors are starving for someone to show them the future will be ok.
- Realize yesterday was not better. Were the 60’s so awesome when they were beating blacks. Were the 50’s awesome when smoking was cool. Were the 70’s great with hippy love and high energy prices. We have a false sence of nostalgia. I remember the late 70’s with high gas prices, our family of 4 bought a diesel rabbit with no A/C. Looking back I am glad I was a kid then, since now I do not think I would have a car without A/C. Also there is nothing we can change about the past, but we can change the future. That is what we should be focusing on.
- Be a first responder. When disasters happen in our neighborhood we should be the first responder. We can only do that if we are prepared to take care our ourselves first. We can only reach out when we have our needs taken care of first.
Preparedness is a wonderful way of life and give great feeling of satisfaction and joy. I look forward to a future which is bright and full of promise. My we all forma bond that con not be broken.
Making Life’s Road a Little Smoother